Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thinking Through Thursday (1)

Thinking Through Thursday

Hey y'all! So I've decided to start doing a weekly (I think :P) discussion post called Thinking Through Thursday. I don't know if I'll make it a meme or not. That depends on if other bloggers are willing to do it :) I love discussions and voicing my opinion (what can I say, I'm an opinionated gal!) but its really to let y'all know more about me and my preferences. I guess its similar to other memes that ask questions, but I hope mine will be more in depth discussions. Examples of some topics will be "why I DNF" or "Why I love dystopia" and whatnot. I think it could be fun because it gives y'all insight to me as a blogger. So, without further ado, my topic for this week is...

Why I DNF:

I picked this discussion because in the past month I've not finished 3 BOOKS! Okay, that may not be much for some people, but for me that's A LOT! So, I've decided to discuss what makes me DNF. A lot of these points go hand in hand but I've still separated them into different points.

1. Neither plot nor characters are interesting enough:
More often than not this has to do with lack of details. For example, the characters are flat and I don't get to know them. I can't stand that. When I can hardly find words to describe them and their personalities, then there is something wrong. I'm not saying I'm going to know every tiny thing that ticks them off, but I want to know them. Are they snarky? Kick-butt? Witty? Intelligent? Laid back? Shy?! WHAT ARE THEY LIKE! GIVE ME SOMETHING TO WORK WITH!! Bah....Then, to top it all off, the plot isn't even awesome enough! So, the only feelings I get while reading are "meh"....I don't like "meh". Normally, if I don't like the characters but the plot is interesting enough, then I'll finish and vice versa. However, when they both aren't that great, I just give up. 

2. Lack of Details:
I'll fully admit that I'm a detail junkie. I would much rather have too many details rather than too little. Yes, too many details can get a bit tedious, but at least I know what the heck is going on! When there aren't enough details, I get completely lost and have absolutely no idea what is going on. No thanks. 

3. Doesn't evoke emotions. 
The emotions that I get while reading a book, whether good or bad, definitely makes a book worth reading. I've actually finished books that I really didn't like and gave two stars just because while reading I had emotions even if those emotions were along the lines of "I want to smack the MC" or "throw the books across the room" but it still evoked emotions! Win!  So, in short, whether the book evokes good or bad emotions, it's still something and I'll take something over nothing. 


Summary: 
In short, if the only feelings I get while reading are "meh" due to lack of character development, boring plot, or too few details, then I'm most likely to DNF. 


So how about y'all? What makes you DNF? Let me know in the comments below!


(P.S. Also, if y'all think this is a good idea and would be interested in it, please let me know!)


All the best ♥


0 comments:

Post a Comment

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)