Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thinking Through Thursday (7)


Welcome to another "Thinking Through Thursday"! This is a post I write (or try to) every Thursday in which I discuss various bookish goodness. 

This week's discussion is:

Love Triangles:

Let's face it, love triangles are definitely a new fad in YA books. 
So the question is:
Love em or leave em?

I personally have a love/hate relationship with this new fad. While I'd actually like this new trend to fall through the cracks, there are times, however few, when it actually works. 

First off, both boys have to have something worth wanting. I hate when one is a complete jerk and bad boy in the bad way (a.k.a abusive, condescending, ect.). For me, a love triangle only works if they both have something going for them. Because then I can see why she may have a hard time making a decision. Sure, I usually end up knowing which one I want to win in the end, but I at least like the other well enough to possibly be alright with him winning. 

But you really want to know the bane of my existence? Indecision and sucky reasoning. 
Kill. Me. Now.
When the girl kisses one guy and then kisses the other guy literally 5 pages later? No. Just no. I want to smack her for that. For one, that's unfair to the boys. I don't like when girls just keep dragging and leading them on. I want to smack the girls and let them know that guys have feelings too. But also, it's just annoying. If you can't decide between boys, don't lead them on. Stew over it for a while and then make a decision. And if you go back on that decision GIVE ME A GOOD REASON. Don't just go behind one guy's back because the other's cute. How petty. 

Example of bad triangle:
Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
The contenders: 
Shay: Condescending jerk that laughs at Calla when she's scared. She constantly risks her life for him while he scoffs at her when she's a bit wary of doing something. If he wants her to do it, then she's gotta do it. Not to mention he constantly and knowingly puts her life in danger when he pisses Ren off on purpose. 
Ren: Sure, he's your run-of-the-mill alpha, but he's stays on the right side of the possessive/protective line. He tries to win Calla over because he knows that she's nervous and wants her to love him and marry him not simply because she has to. He tries to make it better for her and respects her. Is he a playboy jerk sometimes? Absolutely. But at least he tries. 


Example of Good Love Triangle:
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
The contenders:
Dorian: Don't let his confident, witty, playboy attitude deceive you. This boys got himself a sensitive side worthy of love. And he's a book lover to boot. And dealing with a dad like his, it's a darn miracle he turned out as good as he did. While he still has some maturing to do, he'll grow up to be a fine and just king.
Chaol: This Captain of the guard's honor and loyalty are worthy of praise. He may be broody and stoic, but those glimpses of his soft, caring side and his dry, witty humor makes him a worthy contender of Celaena's love. 

See the difference?
In Nightshade, I definitely liked one over the other. I couldn't even say I was alright with the other. No. I wanted to jump into this book so many times and just tell him off it wasn't even funny. And I also didn't love Ren, but I definitely liked him.

In Thone of Glass, on the other hand, I was drooling for both of these sexy men ;) I believe I'm team Chaol just because I'm more into the stoic type, but I can't deny that I fell pretty hard for Dorian. I don't want to say too much about this book since it's not out yet (but definitely go buy it! it's FANTASTIC) I can say that I'd be happy with whichever one she chose. Both of them are good men. And she's not all wish-washy when it comes to them. Bonus points! XD


So, here's a list of what a good love triangle needs:
1. Give me reasons to love both boys, even if I know which one I want to win.
2. Good reasoning for indecision.
3. No flip-flopping every 5 pages

Okay, so if I thought about this a lot more, I'm sure I could come up with many more reasons and suggestions but this was kind of a quick post on my part ;) But I want to give a little advice to authors:

Don't create a love triangle simply because it's a "trend". Do it because it adds to the story, because it give's the story substance. Create quality guys (and don't worry, even bad boys can be good ;) ) that are worthy of love. 

So what about y'all? Do you love, feel indifferent,  or want to gouge your eyes out when it comes to love triangles? Let me know in the comments below!

All the best



0 comments:

Post a Comment

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)