Thursday, July 26, 2012

Otherkin by Nina Berry

Otherkin (Otherkin #1)
by Nina Berry
Pages: 320
Format: ebook
Source: Netgalley


Rating: DNF


Completed: 50%


Goodreads Synopsis:


I thought I knew myself. Then I met Caleb.

Dez is a good girl who does as she’s told and tries not to be noticed.
Then she rescues a boy from a cage, and he tells her secrets about herself.
Now inside her burns a darkness that will transform her.

Everything is about to change -- and neither Caleb, nor the Otherkin, nor those who hunt them are prepared for what Dez will unleash.



My Review:


I'll be honest, I had high hopes for this book. Come one, tiger shapeshifters?! Yes please! And the author wrote for That 70s Show. THAT 70s SHOW! I freaking love that show! So this books gotta be good right? Yes and no. 


The action starts immediately, something I always love. I actually liked Dez too (though that name has to go). She didn't deny who she, she accepted it when it was proven. She's willing to fight. She's clear-minded because she didn't grow up wit the prejudices of the Otherkin. She speaks her mind and she's even a bit snarky. 


Caleb was alright. I didn't really get to know him that well. But he's a gentleman with a bad boy vibe. Maybe I could have liked him had I gotten to know him more.


And I loved the mom. Guess what?! She doesn't disappear! She actually plays a large part in Dez's life and I loved it! She kind, caring and understanding, but strict when she needed to be.


As I said before, she wrote for That 70s Show so I expected to be laughing a lot throughout this book. Sadly I wasn't. I did laugh some at the banter between Dez and Caleb, but I'll admit I was expecting more. But I could get over it. 


The pacing was really fast and really good, but really started to drag by the middle. I don't like that the "school" was so small. It would've been a lot cooler if it was more like a boarding school. 


So, at this point, I liked it. I wasn't in love with it, but I liked it. I was caught in the middle. So what was the part that turned the tables? Why did I DNF?


Religion. 


I'm sorry y'all, but I'm so sick and tired of this plot line. The Tribunal (bad guys) are a big group of hypocrites that used to be a part of the Catholic church and consider the Otherkin "demons" and "devils" and want to banish them. So far, it's not like "The Religious people are EVIL!!", but I have a feeling its going there. If the Tribunal wasn't such a big part of the book, I could maybe look past it. But I don't think so. I don't mind religion in books when you are given both sides and a middle ground and also when it's not specific (a la For Darkness Shows the Stars) but it's just frustrating when its demonized. Again, if it was general then maybe I could have taken it. But then its talking about how there is a "Christian CD" in the back of the Tribunal car and just ugh... Look, yeah, there are crazies out there, but not all are. This book could have easily just made the Tribunal a group that disagreed with the Otherkin without the religious aspect. The religious aspect didn't really add anything to the plot. 


If y'all have read it and can tell me that it isn't really a huge part of the plot then I may pick it up again one day. Like I said, right now, it's not awful, but that's because there haven't been many interactions between them and the Tribunal. But from what I've seen so far, I don't think I'll enjoy it. 


Overall:


The book wasn't bad. I liked Dez and the mom, the action was fun and the plot was different. But I just don't like "make religion look bad" kind of plot. It's very tiring. I don't mind religion in books when it's done well with both points of view and even a middle ground. It can be done tastefully. But often times, I feel as if its just thrust into the book to get the author's point of view across instead of actually adding to the plot. So, for now, I'm done. 


All the best
Mackenzie 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)