Thursday, March 8, 2012

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead


Vampire Academy
By Richelle Mead
Release Date: August 16, 2007
Pages: 332
Source: Bought/Amazon
Format: ebook
Rating: Peer pressure sucks/total love-hate relationship


Goodreads Synopsis: 
Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . . 
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever...



My Review:


Peer Pressure:


   It can really suck. Alright, not always, but this time it does. I like to look on Goodreads and see what books people like and why. Everywhere I turned it was "Vampire Academy" this and "Dimitri" that so I finally decided to see for myself...what was I thinking? 


Premise and vampire lore: 


   Let me talk about the good things first: the plot. Yes, I was extremely interested in the storyline and I really liked the author's take on vampires. I like that not all vampires are the same and that humans actually protect the "good" ones. I like the relationship between the Guardians and their charges and I think her take on the lore was very unique and interesting. 


   I'll also give her credit for fast pacing and non-stop action. I'm a huge fan of action so that made the book more bearable.


Typical Teenage Syndrome (TTS):


   Ah TTS, how you annoy me so! So I just made this up but its something that really annoys me. So what is TTS? Its exactly what its name states. For me, I use this word when authors creates YA stories where all the teenagers drink, do drugs and have sex which is what some adults seem to think all teenagers do. WRONG! It's like a stereotype! I can't stand it when adults this think. We aren't all alcoholic, sex crazed drug addicts! And for me, it was just annoying. Look, I'm all for having fun, but I can have fun without all that. Rose apparently can't. Because of this, I had no respect for Rose. There were plenty of times I wanted to punch her. Repeatedly. Maybe that would knock some sense into her.


Is it possible to simultaneously punch and hug a person?:


   Because that is what I wanted to do to Rose. Alright, I'll talk about her good qualities first. She's incredibly loyal and kick-butt and snarky, hence the reason I want to hug her. Now onto all the things that bugged me about her. Yeah she was snarky, but there is a fine line between snarky and just plain mean and she crossed that line waaay to many times for my liking. Also, to put it nicely, I thought she was kind of a slut. Look, nobody's perfect, but I have no respect for those who go around making out with every single guy around. Look, I'm all for flirtin but not leading them on and just making out with them to make out with someone. I have a bit more self-respect than that. 


   Also, I wanted to punch her every time she complained about being called a slut because ya know what? She brought it on herself. Come on, you can't expect to go around doing the stuff she did and not be judged for it. If you don't want to be known as the school slut, then don't act like one. Simple. Have a little self-respect hon. It'll do you a load of good. 


Love interest? Psh....I've seen better:


   Um...so what's up with Dimitri? No offense (and don't kill me please!) but I don't think there is anything that special about him. Out of all the YA guys out there, he's probably not even on the list. Though I did like it when he put Rose in her place so kudos to that!


Will I continue:
   ....Yes. Hahhaa I know, I just complained and yet I'm gonna continue. Why? 
1. the plot was very interesting and I want to know where it goes. 
2. People I trust who weren't to adament about the first book said to continue because of Adrien. They said he's the guy to look out for so I'll admit its kinda peeking my interest. 


Overall:


   While the plot was incredibly interesting, I wanted to smack the main character many times over. If I wasn't afraid she would kick my butt, I totally would. Heck, even if she did I would still probably smack her! *sigh* Hopefully this Adrian guy will make this series worthwhile. 


All the best,
CONTENT: A lot of cussing, sex, drugs, and alcohol.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)