Monday, August 4, 2014

The One Where I Answer 55 Questions (Part 2)

Hey guys! So, remember that list of 55 questions I started last week (found through the amazing Notebook Sisters)? If not, here is the first 27 for you to check out. When you're done, I present to you 28-55!

28. Favorite reading snack?

I don't have one. Usually just coffee will do. That's basically heaven, in my book.

29. Name a case in why hype ruined your reading experience.

Ohhhhh.....let's see. I think I'll pick 2. One that's old school and everyone knows about, and one that's a bit newer. First up on the chopping block - Vampire academy. Peer pressure sucks sometimes. The plot and non-stop action were what kept me reading. But Rose? I wanted to punch her so many freakin times. She wasn't snarky, she was just plain mean. Hated being called a slut, yet, quite frankly,  didn't exactly do anything to help her reputation. Also, even if she wants to do all that, I could've had a bit of sympathy for her had she not complained and talked about other people doing the same thing. Quite hypocritical. Also, what's up with Dimitri? Why does everyone find him so attractive?! The only good thing about him was the fact that he wasn't afraid to call Rose out. She needed it. So, as far as Vampire Academy goes - not for me. Though I did read the next 2 books....

Alright, second book up on the chopping block - The Kiss of Deception. Now, I didn't hate this one. Actually, I enjoyed it. It just wasn't what I expected. I expected a sweeping fantasy with to die for romance and heart-grabbing emotions. What a got was a light fantasy that barely touched on the world with a mediocre romance and slight emotions. I did actually end up liking Lia, which, from the synopsis, I didn't think would happen. Unfortunately, neither of the guys made my heart go aflutter, but I was intrigued. The problem being, it wasn't really till the end that the book actually delivered on what everyone said. The plot finally got going, the men got interesting, the world was beginning to get fleshed out and crap actually happened. And then it ended. Of course. Will I read book 2? Yes. But book 1 definitely didn't blow me away like everyone said....

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?

I assume your talking about professional critics? If that's the case, I don't read their opinions. If the critics opinions about books are anything like their opinions about movies, they suck. So I just don't read them.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

Well, I don't believe in bashing and basically destroying a book (or the author - they worked hard!) with words, but at the same time, this is a place for me to give my opinion. If I don't like a book, I don't like a book and I'll tell you. And, it's just something people are going to have to realize - just because I don't like a book, doesn't mean someone else won't find it phenomenal. My blog is a place for people to determine whether or not they'll like a book. If they have similar taste, or if our pet peeves are the same, they'll turn away from it. However, my review could also help solidify someones decision to read it because things stated in my review that bother me, may not bother them.

So, in short, I don't believe in just plain hating on a book, but describing why (with a bit of snark and sarcasm, obviously) to help others determine whether this book is for them.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which would you choose?

GERMAN! Yes, I love my 2nd home. I picked up the language when I lived there long, long ago, but have, rather unfortunately, lost it. I hear reading in another language is a great way to pick it up though. Maybe I'll try it one day.

33. Most intimidating book you've read.

Is this a thing? INCONCEIVABLE! I've never been intimidated by books... Well, I take that back now that I think about it. If not wanting to read a series finale because it means a great series is over is considered intimidation, then yes. I have been intimidated by books. Curse you Ruin and Rising!

34. Most intimidating book I'm too nervous to start.

None to date. I'M INVINCIBLEEEEE!

35. Favorite poet?

Shel Silverstein. He's awesome. And basically the only poet I know.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out from the library at any given time?

I exercise great self-control at the library. So only a couple. I'm a slow reader and don't really care to pay fines. If I'm going to pay for a book, I want to actually own the darn thing. Also, my old library (haven't gotten round to the new one yet) didn't have that many options, so that helped a lot.

37. How often have you returned books to the library unread?

Surprisingly, not often. Though I'm also not a big library person so I don't have too many checked out at one time (see questions above).

38. Favorite fictional character?

WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THIS?! OMG...how do I answer this?! CELAENA! Any of the main gals from the Lunar Chronicles series!! So many characters from Rick Riordan's fabulous series (PERCABETHHHHH)! So many HP characters too! And ALANNA (Song of the Lioness)! NIKOLAIIIIII!!! GAHHHH! SO MANNYYYYYYY!

39. Favorite fictional villain?

Mmmmmmm The Darkling. Absolutely enticing. So evil. So delectable.
Michah (from the Seven Realms series).
Any of the baddies from Rick Riordans books. So evil. So funny.
Basically, any villain who has reasons and is evilllll. I love a good villain.

Though I have noticed, I tend to like books with multiples baddies. Or with ones that have a main baddie, but other characters aren't exactly saints.

40. Books you're likely to bring on vacay?

Any awesome fantasy book. Or, basically, any book. I'm not picky.

41. The longest you've gone without reading?

Ummmmmmmmm....do I really have to answer this question? Okay, *takes a breath* - 16 years. Don't kill me! Okay, it's not like I never read in those 16 years. I started reading really early and found some awesome series to read. But, I wasn't a reader. Reading was for my siblings. My sister used to bug the crap out of me and basically brag about how much she read and how smart she was and blah, blah, blah that I did the only natural thing - I did the complete opposite. I said I was too cool for reading. Had too many friends to take time to read. Yes, horrible me. But I learned my lesson! The end of my junior year I got my Kindle, found Goodreads, and found blogs. Before this, I might find a series through friends or family and devour it (Song of the Lioness, HP, Percy Jackson), but I'd never look into finding another series. With Goodreads and blogs, that all changed. I was now able to find books similar to books I'd previously liked. And now that I blog, it keeps me reading. It helps me make it a priority and realize how incredibly awesome delving into a new world can be. So thank you fellow readers. You helped me find my new love. 

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

I have a couple DNF books actually. 
1. The Queen's Choice  - I have such a love/hate relationship with her previous books that I wasn't sure whether I'd like this one or not. Definitely not feeling it. For too many reasons to count. 
2. Ender's Game - I'm sorry, but I truly do not understand how this is basically considered sic-fi royalty. It was boring. It was beyond weird. And just......not for me. Really, really disappointing. I know y'all are going to kill me but, the movie was actually better, not that it was great though either. THE HERESY!
3. Carnival of Souls - Wow. I don't even remember this book. I was just looking through my reviews to see which books I DNF and this one popped up. It was just so meh. And weird. 
4. Glitch - Made it 46% of the way through. Plot still hadn't gone anywhere. Annoying character who couldn't make up her mind. Insta-love. Made up cuss words. Also, looking back over the review, there is one really awkward part. I don't remember what it was. I'm kind of interested in going back to check it out....
5. The Last Princess - So much potential. So much fail. Not enough details, a mediocre MC, a weird insta-lovey relationship, and ridiculously quick pacing that didn't create a full picture. 
6. Starters - 1st half of the book = really interesting. 2nd half = not so much. After the first plot line is resolved, it gets boring. Also, confusing. 

43. What distracts you easily when you're reading?

Well, I actually prefer it to be quiet, or with very low background noise. People talking to me is a big no-no. If you see me reading, be kind and let me know you want to talk to me or ask me a question instead of launching into your life's story or asking questions straightaway. Give me a chance to put my book down so I can give you my full attention. Unless I'm at a really good part. Then you wait. 

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?

I actually was rather fond of both Hunger Games movies. They stuck really well to the books. Also, LORD OF THE RINGS! So, I've never read the books, but the movies are absolutely phenomenal. So good that when I went to New Zealand with my parents, my one request was that we visit the film site. Amazing. 

45. Most disappointing film adaptation. 

Percy Jackson. Horrible. Absolutely horrible. NOTHING LIKE THE BOOK! See, I'm actually relatively easy to please when it comes to books to movies, as long as they stick relatively well to the books. I'm not super picky because I know that the movies will never be as good as the books. BUT, this was horrific. Completely different than the books. I actually started this series because my friend wanted to go see the movie. For those who have never read this series, please don't base your decision on whether or not to read the books based on the movie. Sure, the movies are at least entertaining, somewhat. However, they never should've been called Percy Jackson.

46. The most money I've ever spent in the bookstore at one time.

I try and only buy 1 book at a time (college budget here!). Does that always happen? *snort* NO! Let's see, the other day I spent....$46, give or take a dollar. 

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

Is this a thing? I don't think this should be a thing. 

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through?

Well, if it's completely boring for one. Also, if I don't like the MC, the plot, or insta-love I'll DNF probably. Thing is, sometimes I can get over having one of these things so long as everything makes up for it. What I've noticed with book I tend to DNF is that everything is very "meh". I'll even finish a book that I'm totally hating on as long as it's not completely boring (Camelot Burning).

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?

I don't even have proper bookshelves, so, no. Don't worry, I'm getting some for my new apartment. Still probably won't be organized though.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away one you've read them?

MINEEEEEEE!

51. Are there any books you've been avoiding?

The only one I can think of currently is LOTR. I absolutely loved the movies. Seriously, I watched them as soon as they came out (I was in elementary school - nothing scared me!). I even just had a LOTR extended addition marathon this past spring at school! I don't recommend it though. So. Many. EMOTIONS! Since I love the movies so much, I'm afraid to read the books. I'm afraid it will ruin it for me whether it's because they are boring or because they are different than the movies. So, I'll just stay blissfully ignorant. 

52. Name a book that made you angry.

Oh, I really don't know actually. I've not liked books before. I'm not sure any have made me angry per se. Frustrated? When the MC is completely, utterly, idiotic. 

53. A book you didn't expect to like, but did?

Threats of Sky and Sea - I was a bit surprised by this one. I think because it was a little known book but surprisingly good. The MC really helped. I wish things would've been fleshed out a bit more, but definitely looking forward to book #2. 

The Winner's Curse - This one had a lot of hype. I was hesitant but picked it up anyways. Beautiful. Amazing. Breath-taking. Emotional. So, SO good. Read it. READ IT!.

54. A book you expected to like but didn't?

The Queen of the Tearling  and The Kiss of Deception - I didn't hate either book, but I certainly didn't love them like I expected.

55. Favorite guilt-free pleasure reading?

Irrelevant. I feel no guilt while reading. I read what I like. Except in public....

2 comments:

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)