Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Challenges

I love challenges. They make me read. Which is one reason I participate in them. Even if I don't complete them, at least they help me make an effort. Here are some awesome challenges that I hope to participate in this year. Maybe I challenged myself to too many, but many of them will overlap so I GOT THIS!!!


2014 Debut Author Challenge
Hosted by: The Story Siren

A challenge to read books by authors debuting in 2014 (you go guys!). In 2012, I really kept up with this and it was a great way to not only find new books, but help some new authors along. Last year, I kind of sucked. But its a new year so I have hope :)

Here are some debut books currently on my GR TBR (though it definitely needs to be updated)
The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex #1) by Lindsay Cummings
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
The Falconer (The Falconer #1) by Elizabeth May
Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief #1) by Livia Blackburne 



2014 Netgalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge 
Hosted by: Falling For YA

My Netgalley list of books needing to be read is a looongg one. Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm blessed with the ability to get ARCs and I'm not even reading them? EGAD! And that is the precise reason I'm participating in this challenge. I need to read all these books. I want to give these authors who have blessed me with the opportunity the credit and recognition they deserve (whether for good or bad). So, whats my goal? I'm glad you asked.

Silver level: 25 Books

I'm going for the silver! Because gold is so overrated. 
Okay, not really. It's just that gold level is 50 books o_O Yeah....not sure I could make that one.
Who knows if I'll change the level. I have a lot of books and I'm sure I'll request more. At least this keeps me up with them.


Lucky No. 14 Reading Challenge
Hosted by: Books to Share

This one just sounds fun! Not sure what books I want to read yet but I'll keep you updated.

1. Visit the Country: Read a book that has a setting in a country you really want to visit in real life.
2. Cover Lust: Pick a book from your shelf that you bought for the beautiful/creepy/awesome ect. cover
3. Blame it on Bloggers: Read a book because you've read the sparkling reviews from other bloggers
4. Bargain All the Way: Read a book you bought for the price.
5. (Not So) Fresh From the Oven: Read a book released last year that you never had a chance to read.
6. First Letter's Rule: Read a book with a title that begins with the same letter as your name (M)
7. Once Upon a Time: Choose a book published before you were born.
8. Chunky Brick: Read a book more than 500 pages.
9. Favorite Author: Read a book written by your favorite author.
10. It's Been There Forever: Pick up a book that's been on your shelf for more than year.
11. Movies vs. Books: You've seen the movie, now it's time to read the book. 
12. Freebies Time: Read a free book (giveaway, ARC, birthday, ect)
13. Not My Cup of Tea: Read from a genre you've never tried (or just disliked) before. 
14. Walking Down the Memory Lane: Re-read a book you loved as a child.





2014 Dystopia Reading Challenge
Hosted By: The Blog of Erised

I love dystopia. In 2012 I was on a role reading Dystopian books! Legend? Heck yeah. Divergent? Mmmhhm. The Hunger games? Check. And, as we've determined, 2013 was not my year. So, 2014 is going to be my year. I got this guys. Dystopias are awesome! 
Level:
Rebel: 7-12 books
I'm picking this level because I haven't kept up with Dystopian books as of late and I'm not sure how many are new or that I already own. 7-12 just sounds like a good number. 

2014 Series Challenge

I'm awful at finishing series. Why? Because I hate to see a good thing end. I will be sooo excited for a series, but I will avoid the last book like it's the plague. Not anymore. This challenge gives me that much needed nudge to finish those fantastic series.
Some series I want to finish?
The Legend series by Marie Lu
The Divergent series my Veronica Roth
The Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan
The Seven Realms by Cinda Williams Chima

These are some series that have been completed. However, there are other series that won't be completed in 2014, but I plan on reading up until the latest book (still counts).


2014 Fairy Tales Retold Reading Challenge
Hosted by: Debz Bookshelf

I'm going to go for level Devilish Wolf because, let's face it, that's a cool level name.
So, 4-6 books. I can do this. This is a way to get me to read more fairy tale retellings which can be such an enjoyment! There's even one coming out this year I'm really looking forward too (Cruel Beauty).

This year I've challenged myself to read 60 books. Honestly, I usually end up changing this (either raising or lowering the number) as the year goes on but as for right now 60 sounds like a great number :)





2 comments:

  1. You have some great challenges picked out (including a certain fairy tale related challenge ;) I just got a copy of Cruel Beauty, which will be my first read for the challenge.
    Good luck in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for choosing Lucky No 14 as one of your challenges :) I hope you'll enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)