Monday, September 17, 2012

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon #1) by Alison Goodman

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon #1)
By Alison Goodman
Pages: 531
Source: Bought/ B&N
Format: Paperback

Rating: I liked it/really liked it

Goodreads Synopsis:

Eon has been studying the ancient art of Dragon Magic for four years, hoping he'll be able to apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But he also has a dark secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been living a dangerous lie for the chance to become a Dragon-eye, the human link to an energy dragon's power. It is forbidden for females to practice the Dragon Magic and, if discovered, Eon faces a terrible death. After a dazzling sword ceremony, Eon's affinity with the twelve dragons catapults him into the treacherous world of the Imperial court, where he makes a powerful enemy, Lord Ido. As tension builds and Eon's desperate lie comes to light, readers won't be able to stop turning the pages...

My Review:

Alright, let me just go ahead and get this out of the way:

If you don't like political intrigue, don't read this. 

Oh, so you read the synopsis and thought this would be an action book? Yeah, me too. LIES AND SLANDER! Ok, well maybe not slander, but definitely lies. I actually liked the book because I love myself some political intrigue, but even for me it dragged in some places so if that's not your thing, I'm not sure you'd enjoy it. 

Now don't get me wrong, there is action. Just not till the last 100 pages. But when that action comes, it comes. It's like "BAM!", it's action time! And so it's pretty awesome. However, this book is looooong. And normally I'm all for long books, but this one dragged a bit.

However, the creativity and just pure awesomeness of the plot made it so worth it. No lie. This world is just amazing! It's so intricate and mind-blowingly well-done! This girl thought of everything. Even down to all the rituals. Now that is where it dragged a bit, but she definitely gets brownie points for thoroughly thinking through the world. 

And A+ for girl power. Personally, I didn't really care for Eon(a) for some of the book. And, to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about her at the end (grant it, I am writing this thing about 2 1/2 months after reading it :P) But her growth? Amazing. She learns that she can be a woman and still kick butt. She learns to love herself for who she is, female and awesome dragoneye. 

Overall:

The synopsis promised action, but didn't live up to it. Yeah, action finally comes at the end and its really awesome and all, but unless you can get through 400+ pages of political intrigue and whining, you won't like it. However, the creativity of the world makes it all worthwhile! Honestly mind-blowing in its intricacy. I had a love/hate relationship with Eon(a) but her growth is amazing. And this book definitely brings up some interesting topics on sexism, feminism, ect. so it's a very thought-provoking book. If you're into that kind of thing, jump right in! 


All the best
Mackenzie 

1 comment:

So what did y'all think? I'd love to know your opinions :)
(P.S. I try to answer all comments so check back often! Also, this is an award-free blog. I absolutely love that you thought of me, but I don't have time to pass it along. Thank you though!)